You’ve questioned friends and family. You’ve asked your coworkers. You’ve conducted your research online. Now, you think it’s time to buy your garage door. However, there’s still one more challenge – you need to work with the garage door dealer.
What should you ask of dealers in your area? It can be pretty challenging, since most of us don’t buy garage doors very often. Below, we’ve included a list of the most important questions to ask before buying a garage door.
Questions about the Business
- How long have you been in business?
- Do you have all the necessary permits and licenses, like a business municipal license?
- Do you carry liability insurance just in case an accident occurs while you’re working at my home?
- Do you have a physical showroom where I can see the products you sell in person?
Questions about References
- Can you give me the names and contact information for previous customers who’ve used your service to install new garage doors?
- Do you have any projects I can see within the immediate area?
- Do you have pictures of the past projects you’ve completed?
Note that if they can provide you with customer names and contact information, it’s imperative that you follow through and actually speak with those customers.
Questions about Their Approach
- Did the installer ask questions about your requirements in terms of functionality and aesthetics?
- Did the installer ask about your potential budget, or necessary functionality and features?
- Did they installer ask about the design of your home or any projects that might change that style in the near future?
- What garage door brands does the company recommend? Did they demonstrate how specific equipment works?
- What do other customers have to say about the company’s approach, products or service? Have you heard anything from family and/or friends?
- How much assistance does the company provide you in finding the right balance of style and functionality, insulation and durability, strength, design, window placement and other crucial considerations?
- Does the company have a design center that you can use to help you create the perfect garage door for your home?
- Does the company let you upload photos of your house to see how different garage door styles will look on it?
- Did the company give you at least three solutions to meet your requirements in terms of style, design and price?
- Did the company answer all of your questions to your satisfaction?
Of course, you might have a number of additional questions, particularly about garage door strength and garage door opener operations. You can learn more about those topics by reading this article.
Questions about Their Warranties
- What sort of warranty is offered on garage door installation?
- What sort of warranty is provided on the garage door itself?
- What sort of warranty is offered on the garage door opener?
- What’s the warranty process – is it written down so that it can be proven, or is it verbal only?
- Do you have a maintenance guide to ensure that you’re able to keep your door in good condition?
Why Ask These Questions?
Asking the questions we’ve highlighted above ensures that you’re able to find a trustworthy garage door dealer. If you have any other questions, contact us any time at (613) 547‑4566 for our Kingston location and (613) 966‑5655 for our Belleville location. We know garage doors inside and out. For those in a rush, we can offer an online quote, and you’re also free to use our Design Centre and our image gallery to get a better idea of your options.