Architects & Contractors
Are you getting ready to start a construction job that will need overhead doors or garage doors? If so, then we're here to help with all of your needs from the start, and we can ensure that you get the perfect product needed for your project. You have to think about far more than just the dimensions of the door, as they may require different types of hardware. You must always think about the use and the application when you are considering the perfect door, and that's just one of the ways we can help you.
What do you need to consider?
Let's look at a few of the things you will need to consider when you are choosing your garage door or overhead door system.
What Type of Traffic Will the Door Experience?
Think about the type of use the door will be experiencing throughout its life. What types of vehicles and how many people will be coming through the door? This can help you to understand the risk of breakdown, and help you determine the best type of door.
Do You Need Great Insulation and Weather Tight Doors?
When you are looking for a great door, you may want to consider energy costs. Look at all of the different factors that can contribute to energy conservation and waste with the door.
How Often Will the Door Be Used?
You need quality hardware (tracks, roller, hinges, etc.) if the door is going to be opened and closed a significant number of times throughout the week. In addition, you will need to have quality door openers.
Safety and Security
Consider the safety elements, as well as security elements that your door needs to have, such as protection against burglars and against vandalism.
Do You Need Windows?
Do you need to have more windows to allow in natural light, or would you rather have no windows at all? Do you want just a single window? It is important to note with more windows, there could be more heat lost.
Think about the potential special conditions and features that the door may need to have. Are you in an area with strong winds or is the air corrosive?
After you know the answers to the preceding questions, it's time to think about the dimensions of the door. To determine this, you will need to know several things.
- What is the distance between the floor and the ceiling, to the point under the rafters? What is the first obstacle that the overhead door or garage door will encounter? It is important to ensure that there is plenty of clearance for the door on the way to the ceiling.
- For two doors that are side by side, there needs to be a distance of at least 457 mm (18 in.).
- You need a high voltage electric door opener for the best performance and efficiency. An electrical engineer should look at all doors that have electric door openers and accessories.
What are the best doors for different applications?
- Sectional Doors - The majority (more than 90%) of the sectional garage doors in Canada utilize 26-gauge galvanized steel that's 1 ¾" (45 mm) thick with polyurethane foam injection to ensure high quality insulation. It increases rigidity, easily adheres to the door wall, and doubles their strength.
- Rolling Steel Doors (Fire Rated) - Many of these rolling steel doors, which have two sections, have a fire resistance rating of longer than 45 minutes.
- High-Speed Doors - One of these PVC doors can make it easy to divide areas of your building.
- Loading Dock Doors - If you have a loading door, an overhead door could work well. Options include platform lifts, mechanical docks, hydraulic docks, and more. Always remember to get the proper safety accessories with these doors.
No matter what type of door you need, sectional garage door, rolling door, high-speed door, strip door, all-glass door, pass-door, wicket door or loading dock, Upper Level Doors is ready to assist you. We have qualified techs with the experience needed to provide you with peace of mind. You can be sure you will have a great overhead door system.
Always make sure you are looking at quality and efficiency when choosing components for your project. It ensures you have a better door overall. The cost of quality will pay for itself, since you will have fewer breakdowns and needs for repairs.
We also offer a Preventive Maintenance Program that helps to ensure your overhead doors operate properly for years. Talk with us to learn more about our annual maintenance contracts. You can contact our technical service department or sales reps at 613-777-9199 or for the Kingston office and at 613-902-1231 for Belleville.